In the post-war years Barking was in the middle of a housing crisis. To help ease long council house waiting lists a new estate was planned, to be constructed on marshland north of Creekmouth village previously deemed unsuitable for any type of building. Huge concrete tubes were buried in the ground and filled with more concrete to provide a stable foundation for the estate, which would include a school, a church, a doctors clinic and a new shopping area. Thames View Estate, as it came to be known, was officially opened on 12th June 1954. The new flats and houses were modern and spacious, and the estate as a whole was considered a benchmark for other council developments. Some 18 months after the fierce flooding of 1953 that so devastated Creekmouth, many residents of the village were re-housed on the new estate, and the Creekmouth Preservation Society maintains strong links with the estate to this day.