The Crooked Billet

The Crooked Billet, c.1930

The Crooked Billet, c.1930

The present Crooked Billet Public House was built in 1925 and run by Stubbs’ family for arround 60 years, originally by Herbert and Phyllis, and later their son, John, and his wife, Betty. It was later taken over by Ellen and Michael McLean until the brewery sold the pub in 2011.  Ellen and Michael moved to another place in London, although they would dearly have loved to keep running the Billet.  Sadly the pub was taken over and given a new name, ‘The River Club’, which is now a ‘Gentlemen’s Club’.