Although the Crooked Billet Inn and the stone-built gunpowder magazine had been at Creeks Mouth since the mid 1700s, little is known about the very first residents. The first documented families living at Creeks Mouth are from the 1841 census. The village, as such, wasn’t built until the mid 1850s but there were three very
Families of Creekmouth
In 1881, Young Robert Ireland arrived from Scotland with his wife, Sarah and their children, Emma, Margaret, Ellen, Robert and John. They settled in the village and Robert went to work as a labourer in Lawes Fertiliser Factory. They lived at No.49 and went on to have three more children: Jennie, Henry and Kate. Robert continued
In the beginning The Langford family are, without doubt, the longest serving family in the village, living at No.28 Creekmouth Cottages. Jesse and Elizabeth Langford are mentioned in the 1871 census, together with their children Ellen, Joseph, Sarah, Ann and Richard. Just a few years later Jesse Jnr and Elizabeth had joined the family group.
This article is taken from the writings of Cyril Tweed regarding his Elliott & Hindle relatives, 1985. From Kent to Creekmouth The Elliott / Hindle story began in 1800 when Henry Thomas Elliott moved from Kent with his Suffolk-born wife, Alice, to No.39 Creekmouth Cottages. Henry, known as Harry, and Alice raised 15 children in